Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jonquil Poster Quilt


I have been wanting to create this quilt for a while. I had a full photo of yellow jonquils (daffodils) to use for this quilt, but then found a photo of the jonquils in the foreground and my parents' home in the background. I just had to create this for my parents since they live 200 miles away in an assisted living home and cannot see the flowers. I printed the photo on white material backed with freezer paper. I did not treat the fabric since this is a wall quilt and will not be washed. I cut the material slightly smaller than the 8.5 x 11 piece of freezer paper and it printed perfectly on my inkjet printer.

I created the word "jonquils" by typing in a Word file. After printing, I then used my light table to trace the words on freezer paper. I ironed the freezer paper to top of fabric, and then ironed the fabric on fusible web. Then cut the words out and ironed on fabric. I loved the whole process. My biggest problem was how to quilt the photos. I chose to only quilt the black fabric.

No comments: